Primary School Challenge
The Primary School Challenge is to encourage children to enter a 2km event and in doing so represent and gain points for their school. The School that achieves the greatest points tally will be awarded with a $1000 prize negotiated with the school to ensure that it has genuine value to the winning school community. There is also a perpetual trophy for the school to display for 12 months.
The points system has been designed to encourage participation and also reward faster runners. For 2013 it also ensures that boys and girls can gain bonus points for their school and that younger members of the school community can also gain bonus points. The full rules are detailed below:
- Every student finisher in the 2k Primary School Challenge is awarded 1 "Entry" point.
- Any Primary School child that finishes a longer distance event will also get 1 "entry" point,
- Then for general fairness, the total "Entry" points for each school will be divided by an "enrolment" factor (based on 2013 enrolment numbers) to increase fairness for smaller schools. It will work as follows:
- Up to 100 students – full "entry" points awarded,
- 101 - 200 students – 1/2 "entry" points awarded,
- 201 - 300 students – 1/3 "entry" points awarded,
- 301+ students – 1/4 "entry" points awarded.
- “Bonus” points will then be awarded for placing’s as follows:
- 3 points will be awarded to each of the winning Girl and Boy from each Age Group (under 7, 7-9, 10+). This is 6 lots of 3 points.
- 2 points will be awarded to each of the second placed Girl and Boy from each Age Group (under 7, 7-9, 10+). This is 6 lots of 2 points.
- 1 point will be awarded to each of the third placed Girl and Boy from each Age Group (under 7, 7-9, 10+). This is 6 lots of 1 point.
- “Bonus” points are in addition to the "Entry" points,
- “Bonus” points are NOT divided by the enrolment factor,
- “Bonus” points will only be allocated in the Primary School event.
- The school with the greatest points after the "enrolment" division of the "Entry" points and the addition of any "Bonus" points will be declared the winner.
- A presentation will be arranged to take place at the winning school within a couple of weeks of the event.
- Parents or carers may accompany their child in this event where the child requires moral support (eg younger children, nervous parents!)
- There is a $5 fee for each parent carer which covers their race bib, post-race refreshments, insurance, medical and other general costs,
- Parent/carer bibs will NOT attract an additional fee if purchased after early bird entries close or on event morning,
- Parents/carers will not receive an official finishing time,
- Parents/carers are not eligible for “Entry” or “Bonus” points,
- Parents/carers are prohibited from pacing or coaching their children. The intent is for moral support where it’s needed, not to help a potential race winner or confident competitor.
- Parents/carers who formally enter a longer race (5k, 10, HM or Marathon) will not be eligible for Primary School Challenge points, but are encouraged to form or join a "Community Team". It would be quite reasonable for the parents and teachers of a primary school to form a “Community Team”.
- Primary School children who enter the 2km event may also enter a Community Team.
- Only children that enter through their school are eligible to enter the colouring competition (refer school for further details or contact us.
- Schools that agree to support the event will be listed HERE. Students can enter through these schools for just $5 which is a price heavily subsidised by our team of sponsors.Through school entry at that price will only be available until about the middle of December. Check with your school for full details, or contact us